Texas Legislative Activity
How well do you understand the leadership, organization and process in the Texas legislature? Answer the following questions (in list or bullet format) and provide proper documentation for where you located your response for each question. Do not submit an attachment. Use the text box provided.
- Who is the current Speaker of the TX House? What is his or her party affiliation? How long has he or she held this office? How long has he or she been in the Texas Legislature (any elected office in the Texas Legislature)? How is he or she selected to serve in this office?
- Who is the current Lieutenant Governor? What is his or her party affiliation? How long has he or she held this office? How long has he or she been in the Texas Legislature (any elected office in the Texas Legislature)? How is he or she selected to serve in this office?
- The Texas Legislature has the authority to propose amendments to the Texas Constitution. These proposed amendments must first be approved in a ________ (What type of legislation?) by both the Texas State Senate and the Texas House of Representatives. Then it has to be adopted by at least ______ (What fraction?) of the membership of each chamber of the legislature. This amounts to at least _____ (What number?) votes in the Texas House and at least _____ (What number?) in the Texas Senate.
- How “representative” are members of the Texas House of Representatives of the people they serve (in terms of race/ethnicity, age, gender, income, wealth, etc.)? Make a comparison with the current membership of the Texas House and society by detailing the demographics of the membership.
- What is the length and frequency (when do they meet and how often?) of the Texas Legislature? What particular area of the Texas Constitution outlines this? What is the salary for Texas Legislators (elaborate)? What are at least 2 benefits/compensation other than salary for Texas Legislators? (Elaborate)
You MUST document/cite your sources!